• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A tribute to Paul Sturrock.

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐🦐
I mentioned the other day on here what a minor miracle Paul Sturrock did when we had almost no players and he somehow managed to build a good squad very quickly, with hardly any money. A lot of those players had played for him before, so it's testament to him as a manager that he called and they turned up. Many players have said they loved being managed by Paul Sturrock. Luggy is now in the biggest battle of his life with Parkinsons Disease. I'm sure we all wish him well. He was one of the best things to ever happen to SUFC. He put up with a lot of nonsense behind the scenes, but just got on with the job. A lot of you in my age bracket, will know what a great player he was as well. He was the main reason that unfashionable Dundee United suddenly became a force in Scottish and European football. So here for you all, and especially those that never saw him play, is a great tribute to a very special man.

Should never of been sacked, I have zero doubt in my mind that following season we would of gone up with him, 90% of the team that did go up was his.

At the time he was appointed I was sceptical but what an absolute legend he turned out to be. Almost no players to bringing in players like Bilel, Leonard, Corr and more.

Salute you Wee Birdie

Well said TSNB. My wife is from Dundee and I've seen Sturrock play for Dundee United. Believe me he was some player. A tall centre half's nightmare. Quick, small, tough and would make you look like a fool. I also saw him as a manager when he managed St Johnson's when they visited Dundee to play.
One of my regrets was not talking to him when I saw him in the street where my in laws lived, Peddie Street. There is a therapy centre there for MS and he was standing outside it. A missed opportunity.
For me he played a huge part in saving this club.

To be fair to Phil Brown, I recall he offered Paul Sturrock to come back just for the final, which he then rejected, understandably.

He performed miracles that season, lets hope Kev & Co can emulate him.

To be fair to Phil Brown, I recall he offered Paul Sturrock to come back just for the final, which he then rejected, understandably.

He performed miracles that season, lets hope Kev & Co can emulate him.
I’m not sure that was the case. Phil was keen to lead the team out in the day was my recollection. But I may be wrong. Paul Sturrock was 10 times the manager PB was. RM treated him appallingly and I lost any respect I had for our Chairman when he sacked PS. It was a sign of RM’s absolute lack of empathy with any people who worked for or with him and the beginning of the rot that has led us to where we are today.

But the important thing to remember is that Luggy was a great manager and is an even better man.

An absolute hero, to come in with 3 players standing with no money and stabilise the ship.

I do hope when we have new owners and the future looks brighter, we can celebrate these legends properly at FF.

A big regret I have is not at least shaking his hand when in the Green Man pub as a shy 16 year old. A miracle maker.
I did manage to shake his hand in the green man, a true gentlemen…..even if he was well oiled lol.

Paul liked a wee drink after morning training sessions.
When he was manager at Plymouth, I bumped into him in the ‘Penny Come Quick’ public house, one lunch time.
We had a general footy chat for 15 minutes or so. Such a knowledgeable bloke.

I genuinely thought he had passed away when I saw this post, I know he is not in the best of health. Slightly random thread….but a great manager for us at a crucial time.

Back