• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A list of record transfer fees paid - by date

Napster

No ⭐
A bit harder to do, as paid fees aren't as easily found.

Paid:

1948/9 - Jimmy McAlinden, £6,500 from Stoke
1965/6 - Eddie Firmani, £10,000 from Charlton
1967/8 - Phil Chisnall, £17,000 from Liverpool
1978/9 - Mickey Stead (Spurs), and Dave Cusack (Sheff Weds), £50,000 (who went first?)
1979/80 - Keith Mercer, £80,000 from Watford
1990/91 - Brett Angell, £100,000 from Stockport
1991/2- Keith Jones, £175,000 from Brentford
1993/4 - Gary Poole, £400,000 from Plymouth
1995/6 - Mike Marsh, £500,000 from Galatasary

Last edited:
But none of these were record fees at the time. The point of the list is that we've never paid more than we paid for Marsh in 95. Crazy that is almost 30 years ago!
Yeah I get that. But those were our record fees for that season. It's funny, we deem ourselves a biggish club, but you wouldn't think so based on those fees.

Compare it to some sides these days. Even sides like Burton have spent more. They spent £517,000 on Boyce in 2017. We won't talk about Peterborough.

A bit harder to do, as paid fees aren't as easily found.

Paid:

1978/9 - Mickey Stead (Spurs), and Dave Cusack (Sheff Weds), £50,000 (who went first?)
I don't know who came first but I do know that Cusack went first via Millwall to be player manager at Doncaster. One of his subsequent signings was, coincidentally, Stead.

Rough figures but comparing our record transfer with the top division record transfers in the late 40's our record transfer was around 30% of the top division. This reduces over nearly 50 years to around 6% in the mid nineties. We now pay around .0002% of the value of the top transfers. A sign of our demise but also I think of the effect of the founding of the Premier League in the early nineties and the inequality of football finances since.

Interesting - as I took my figures directly from the Century United book by Miles and Goody - although on rereading, I've added Spence and Jones.
Potted Shrimps 1999 - Century United 2006.

Stead and Cusack were both £50k and made their debuts in the same game in September 78, against Cusack’s former club at Hillsborough.

Anton Otulakowski also cost £50k when signed from West Ham in March 1979.

Keith Mercer joined 2 months after Derek Spence.

Rough figures but comparing our record transfer with the top division record transfers in the late 40's our record transfer was around 30% of the top division. This reduces over nearly 50 years to around 6% in the mid nineties. We now pay around .0002% of the value of the top transfers. A sign of our demise but also I think of the effect of the founding of the Premier League in the early nineties and the inequality of football finances since.

More to do with Freedom of Contract from the mid nineties.

According to this Stead signed on loan initially - but maybe the programme was incorrect - wouldn’t be the first time!

Edit - seems it was correct and he then signed permanently in December for £40k if you believe a Gillingham programme.

Attachments

• IMG_1984.jpeg
    IMG_1984.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
What’s the record fee paid for a goalkeeper?
What’s the record signing per position?
I have no idea but I’m sure someone does.

Back