• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane 50 years of Ceefax, top of the league and all that

302 was the footy page.

It was all about news in briefs though, proper rumour mill that was!

Worst thing about it was seeing it on page 1 of 4 (league tables) and seeing it change and then having to wait for the whole loop to come around to then press hold!

Remember the games on Ch 4 teletext too! Bamboozled was one of them

Last edited:
always reminds me of the Gordon Strachan quote

On being top of the table: “I’m going home now to get myself a Coca-Cola and a packet of crisps and I’ll sit in front of the television and look at the table on Teletext all night.”

91-92 ....my favourite season of all time. Every game couldn't come quickly enough. 442 every week, big teams visiting Roots Hall every fortnight. That 4-0 win over Newcastle will forever live with me....as will the ceefax image of us proudly sitting on top of the table for a few hours at least.

playing and doing so well against teams like Man Utd, Liverpool , Chelsea, Newcastle, Spurs, ,Man City in front off 28000 at RH, Reading in the papers back in Melbourne how for a little while we sat top of Div2, how after losing a cup replay 3-0 at Liverpool the KOP stood and clapped the team off the ground because Southend didnt go there to just defend but played an attractive attacking brand of football made me feel so proud , Only once can i remember getting our asses whipped that was against Birmingham when we wore gold shirts and Birmingham were a big club back then 6-1 we lost, We really did have a beautiful history until the Rat family tarnished it .

Back