• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 General Election thread

2.5% swing in Newcastle to Labour and a 3,1% swing to the Tories in Sunderland. Maybe these exit polls aren't as good as they say. Could be a long night.

Forgive my ignorance on this matter, but if they cant form a coalition government, is it set in law that we will need another general election within a maximum of 6 months... or is it a case of a minimum of 6 months with a longer time frame (what ever that will be?) until a maximum date in the future?

Not set in law more due to the fact that whoever has power will need other parties to vote with them in key readings in the house, a vote by vote arrangement. These tend to fall apart very quickly as has happened in Holland. The issue is that on certain issues the parties are a long way apart so it will be difficult for either side to find the necessary support on key votes i.e Brexit. In fact it is possibly the worst outcome for Brexit and the negotiations.

2.5% swing in Newcastle to Labour and a 3,1% swing to the Tories in Sunderland. Maybe these exit polls aren't as good as they say. Could be a long night.

Yep think it will be. 2.5 % swing much lower than exit poll predicted and the 3.5 % swing to Tories in Sunderland was predicted as 3.5% to Labour according to exit.

Not set in law more due to the fact that whoever has power will need other parties to vote with them in key readings in the house, a vote by vote arrangement. These tend to fall apart very quickly as has happened in Holland. The issue is that on certain issues the parties are a long way apart so it will be difficult for either side to find the necessary support on key votes i.e Brexit. In fact it is possibly the worst outcome for Brexit and the negotiations.

Thanks for that dloman, so just to clarify the next general election does not by law need to be held on December 8th or 9th of this year.

The reason I asked was because I recall Belgium being without an elected government for about a year and a half, and wondered if a similar law applied in the UK.

Yep think it will be. 2.5 % swing much lower than exit poll predicted and the 3.5 % swing to Tories in Sunderland was predicted as 3.5% to Labour according to exit.
there is no real UK pattern though, Leave safe Labour seats will see a very different sharing out of the UKIP vote than in the marginals. It's all about the marginals. Anything (within reason) can happen. Amber Rudd (who was a good shout to take over from May) looks like her seat could fall.

Thanks for that dloman, so just to clarify the next general election does not by law need to be held on December 8th or 9th of this year.

The reason I asked was because I recall Belgium being without an elected government for about a year and a half, and wondered if a similar law applied in the UK.

The last real hung parliament was 1974 and there was another election 6 months or so later

there is no real UK pattern though, Leave safe Labour seats will see a very different sharing out of the UKIP vote than in the marginals. It's all about the marginals. Anything (within reason) can happen. Amber Rudd (who was a good shout to take over from May) looks like her seat could fall.

There is no real pattern emerging as it seems very variable. Though just seen Emily Thornberry on BBC and must say she is extremely arrogant.

No overall majority now around 1/3.

Who the **** is going to be talking to the EU next week about Brexit?

No overall majority now around 1/3.

Who the **** is going to be talking to the EU next week about Brexit?

Word was May's reshuffle would've seen Rudd moving to chancellor, Davis to home/foreign and Gummer to Brexit. Gummer's lost his seat and Rudd looks set to lose hers. An absolute ****ing shambles.

Anyone who thinks that racism is "commonplace and open" in the Labour party is,quite frankly, deluded.

I would have thought you're much more likely to hear racist remarks at your local golf or Conservative club.

Needless to say, that does not excuse such comments,wherever they are to be heard.

Do you want me to post everything that happens? I'm sure you'd get even more bored than you currently are. Let's start with this one from yesterday:

"Woman filmed outside Borehamwood polling station chanting 'Vote Labour, let's get the Jews out'".

The video hasn't been published yet.

(From antisemitism.uk)

Labour: for the many, not the jew.

Last edited:
May is 50/50 to resign apparently. I said right from the start this would be close. Hung parliment, not good for the country but on the plus side, Alex Salmond has lost his seat, which makes me very happy.

Hahaha May has ****ed it completely. Bring on the jezza landslide later in the year

What odds on Boris or Amber Rudd launching leadership bids now?

So she gambled, screwed up the campaign and lost. As posted before I wouldn't have voted for a mainstream party (nor UKIP) I'll tell you something for nothing as an observer. The Tories won't be protesting in the streets because they don't like the way democracy has spoken. Left of centre could learn from that but they won't because the mindset isn't there

Back