• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 General Election thread

Polling agents should adhere to a strict code of conduct. If anyone feels they're being aggressive or threatened, have a word inside the station - the Poll Clerks can demand that they leave.

All I ever got when I did it was some old dear who sat outside on a plastic chair and wouldn't say boo to a goose.

Ah, bless, the late and wonderful former mayor of Castle Point, Jackie Govier, did this for years at every election - county or national. I really missed her this morning when I went in.

I think everyone does to be honest, in 4 hours I've only found a handful of people who are in. Still worthwhile though because Labour Party members are literally the nicest people I've ever met. Every time I go canvassing I meet a new group of people and always they are so genuine and enthusiastic.

Clearly not friends with those Labour supporters who thought it wise to canvas locally last Sunday then?

Clearly not friends with those Labour supporters who thought it wise to canvas locally last Sunday then?
UKIP said they would not stop canvassing as that was letting the terrorists effect our democracy - I think that is a valid point.
Both Conservatives and Labour said they would postpone national electioneering for one day, but would carry on a local level - both parties said that. May then made policy announcements outside 10 Downing St - which doesn't really fit in with the no national campaigning message - but personally I agree with the notion of not letting terrorists dictate what you do.

Anyone who thinks that racism is "commonplace and open" in the Labour party is,quite frankly, deluded.

I would have thought you're much more likely to hear racist remarks at your local golf or Conservative club.

Needless to say, that does not excuse such comments,wherever they are to be heard.

Voted Tory, but don't play golf - so that must make me only half racist...

A slight diversion...the BBC have produced a list of the last general election in which now defunct parties that all returned MPs at one time had candidates standing. They point out that some have since 're-appeared' under different names. Quite a few 'Labour' and 'Liberal' parties in there.

2015: Respect Party
1992: Ulster Popular Unionist Party
1987: Communist Party
1987: Liberal Party
1987: SDP
1979: Democratic Labour Party
1966: National Liberal Party
1945: Common Wealth Party
1945: Independent Labour Party
1935: National Labour Party
1931: Scottish Prohibition Party
1918: Irish Parliamentary Party
1918: Irish Unionist Alliance
December 1910: All-for-Ireland League
December 1910: Liberal Unionist Party

Traditionally, Labour supporters vote in the evening. Also, did you know that if the weather was bad then Labours vote dropped. It stemmed from the fact that the working class were more likely to not own a car and would get out of the rain than vote. Granted, that was back in the 40/50's but still interesting.

That was still true for the early 70's.A lot of OAP's didn't have cars back then (some probably still don't now).

Not that we can read completely into it, but the 1st Exit Poll predicts the Conservatives with 314, short by 12 for an over all majority.

If those exit polls are correct it will interesting to see what deals will have to be made. I trust Labour will keep their word and make no coalition deals with the SNP.

I fear another Con / Lib Dem goverment again?... I really hope not in case Fallon insists on another referendum on Brexit in order to get them across the line..... I don't think the Shrimperzone servers could cope with yet another 57,894 pages of drivel.

Forgive my ignorance on this matter, but if they cant form a coalition government, is it set in law that we will need another general election within a maximum of 6 months... or is it a case of a minimum of 6 months with a longer time frame (what ever that will be?) until a maximum date in the future?

Back