• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 General Election thread

There was plenty of coverage of Fallon making a **** of himself on C4 News.

I'm willing to accept that Abbott gets a tougher time of it than some - that'll be our good pals at The Daily Mail and The Sun in particular (with the former defining her as "Corbyn's ex" when news of her taking a break emerged) - but her illness notwithstanding, she's had a rough campaign.

I think it's fairly clear BAME and female politicians are treated differently to men. Andy Burnham came out with a hugely similar inference to not being alarmed in the aftermath of the Manchester terror attack, yet it was Khan who got both barrels from Trump. Karen Bradley's fumbled just as many numbers in this election campaign than Diane Abbott, but it's the latter who's been pilloried in the press. Even May's been given a torrid time for running an insipid campaign, but it's broadly the same to what Cameron ran in 2015.

Now I agree that May deserves to be pulled from pillar to post for her campaign, but Cameron simply wasn't given that treatment in 2015.

Maybe a bit late in the day, but the link below shows you the cuts to education budgets to schools in your area under the Tories/Lib Dems. My daughter's school will have to cut over £100K and they're already struggling.

http://www.schoolcuts.org.uk/

I bet the "charitable" free schools won't be suffering. :angry:

A friend on FB wrote this, but I think it sums up the whole election in my view:

Despite a great campaign by Labour and that May very nearly fell apart entirely, the Conservatives will win today, it's just a question of the size of the majority. The public gets what the public wants and in choosing May, perhaps we're right, as she is in many ways our perfect representative, embodying as she does so many of the qualities of Britain - stilted, awkward, mean, snippy, unwelcoming of challenge, deeply mediocre (but bafflingly sure of her abilities), sneering, frightened and always, always valuing position above achievement, rank above contribution. There's another Britain, of course, and we saw the best of it on Saturday night and its aftermath and before that in the response to the Manchester bomb. But it is May's Britain that is dominant and it will assert itself today.

Strewth, that's me to a T. Not voted yet but sounds like I should be considering a late switch to May.

Strewth, that's me to a T. Not voted yet but sounds like I should be considering a late switch to May.

Deeply mediocre (but bafflingly sure of there abilities), always valuing position above achievement, rank above contribution.

Southend United as well. Vote Labour :winking: :thumbsup:

Maybe a bit late in the day, but the link below shows you the cuts to education budgets to schools in your area under the Tories/Lib Dems. My daughter's school will have to cut over £100K and they're already struggling.

http://www.schoolcuts.org.uk/

I bet the "charitable" free schools won't be suffering. :angry:

I know I've used this example before, but:

http://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...increase-green-renewable-energy-a7618191.html

"Britain’s solar industry is facing devastation and consumers could see energy bills rise after the Chancellor Philip Hammond refused to listen to pleas to cancel a planned tax hike of up to 800 per cent on rooftop solar schemes.

Bizarrely, state schools with solar panels will be forced to pay, while private schools will remain exempt."

when out canvassing the subject that keeps coming up time and time again is not the cuts to the police, dementia tax, cuts to school funding, the removal of tax promises, none of those it was all 'earrings graffiti' thats all anyone wanted to talk about

But you'll admit that was an absolute **** of a thing to do, right?

Back on topic, I do love election day. Great seeing so many people out and about with stickers, busy polling stations, etc.

That said, not much of a battle going on in the constituency where I work, with Labour's Andy Slaughter defending a majority of c.6,000.

But you'll admit that was an absolute **** of a thing to do, right?

Back on topic, I do love election day. Great seeing so many people out and about with stickers, busy polling stations, etc.

That said, not much of a battle going on in the constituency where I work, with Labour's Andy Slaughter defending a majority of c.6,000.
of course - I have campaigned against racism my whole life, but I don't buy into this notion of anyone who says something racist who can be traced back in some vague way to a particular party should sway the way you vote. There are enough crap MPs to put you off each party without scouring the membership. Labour have half a million members - it won't be hard to find a few wrong'uns, and usually the wrong 'under have no connection to the party

of course - I have campaigned against racism my whole life, but I don't buy into this notion of anyone who says something racist who can be traced back in some vague way to a particular party should sway the way you vote. There are enough crap MPs to put you off each party without scouring the membership. Labour have half a million members - it won't be hard to find a few wrong'uns, and usually the wrong 'under have no connection to the party

What a ****ing cop out. 'Usually the wrong have no connection to the party' You say you have campaigned against racism all your life then come out with that rubbish. Yesterday you were crying foul over a Britain First video being posted on here, but you have no problem defending another example of what you supposedly fought against.

I thought better of you.

What a ****ing cop out. 'Usually the wrong have no connection to the party' You say you have campaigned against racism all your life then come out with that rubbish. Yesterday you were crying foul over a Britain First video being posted on here, but you have no problem defending another example of what you supposedly fought against.

I thought better of you.

Five hours of voting to go and the best odds for each eventuality are...

Conservative majority - 1/5
No overall majority - 11/2
Labour majority - 20/1

I thought better of you.
I'm not defending it, but one is some graffiti by who knows who and the other is an official Britain First video.
My point is that parties state there intentions in manifestos - judge your votes on that not if some scrot who may be a party supporter tweets something racist or puts up some dodgy graffiti. Overstate the importance of that kind of crap and you will never vote for anyone

I'm doing politics on twitter, on here, in email - while waiting for people to answer doors on the knock up - so my sentences probably don't make sense - soz

Still is in the labour party.

Anyone who thinks that racism is "commonplace and open" in the Labour party is,quite frankly, deluded.

I would have thought you're much more likely to hear racist remarks at your local golf or Conservative club.

Needless to say, that does not excuse such comments,wherever they are to be heard.

Tories vote in the evening when they get back from work.

Traditionally, Labour supporters vote in the evening. Also, did you know that if the weather was bad then Labours vote dropped. It stemmed from the fact that the working class were more likely to not own a car and would get out of the rain than vote. Granted, that was back in the 40/50's but still interesting.

Tories vote in the evening when they get back from work.
I think everyone does to be honest, in 4 hours I've only found a handful of people who are in. Still worthwhile though because Labour Party members are literally the nicest people I've ever met. Every time I go canvassing I meet a new group of people and always they are so genuine and enthusiastic.

Traditionally, Labour supporters vote in the evening. Also, did you know that if the weather was bad then Labours vote dropped. It stemmed from the fact that the working class were more likely to not own a car and would get out of the rain than vote. Granted, that was back in the 40/50's but still interesting.
when you canvas you want it to rain so everyone is in, and on Election Day you want it be be fine so everyone will be happy to go out.

Back