• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 General Election thread

Deleted...

How do you multi quote??

No idea. :smile:

.....click the posts you want to quote by clicking the speech bubble and + sign, then "reply with quote".

On the bottom of each post there is a speech bubble with quotes inside it and a + sign(far right). For every quote that you want to include click the bubble against each post. When you have included them all, click the reply with quote box against the last of the multiple quotes.
You mean like this :)

Thanks both

It's hard from afar to work out exactly what has gone on but it seems to me the Tories have blown a massive pre-election lead. Can I possibly have an answer with as little political bias as possible from pro or anti Tory that explains what is going on. Which combination of defence, education, health, immigration, Brexit, emergency services are Labour winning the housewives vote on?

I've only ever voted once and not for a mainstream party. What I do know is a vote for Labour is a vote for catastrophe. I can't think of one post war Labour government that has left the country in a better financial position than when it entered parliament. We all want some of the values that they stand for but not at the expense of ruining the country again.

Ahistorical hogwash.
Can you provide an example of when this didn't happen then, because I certainly can't remember one.

I for one am a bit concerned about this promise to play around with the Human Rights Act. It's lovely rhetoric, but how exactly will this be done?

For example, if I made a jokey remark like "I hate this country sometimes" on Whatsapp am I going to be let back in again once I've landed at Stansted following my 2018 holibobs?

I'm not being deliberately awkward but I'd be interested to know how exactly our human rights will change due to a few nutters and how this will stop terrorist atrocities. Is altering our democracy to make our country less free not cowing to terrorists?

The Human Rights Act is there to protect all of us surely - things like a right to a fair trial, and rights of employees, they are a cornerstone of our democracy. Yes we face a new and deadly threat from radical terrorists, but you remain more likely to be killed by a cow than a terrorist.

Questions need to be asked about this, and clarifications need to be made.

A fair point, it is all well and good Mrs May saying she will amend the HRA, but not giving any details is a very slippery slope to down.

This is too important to mess up as it affects the liberties of all us.

I would not vote in her favour on a vague promise to amend something sometime in the future but not saying what I am amending or how it will affect us.

Another example of muddled thinking from Mrs May.

I think you have under estimated the young vote, that JC is gaining, never has it been so important for first time voters to get out and put their X in the right box

UTS

The young vote is brought up every election and they never turn up in the numbers required. I hope you are right as the tories need at least a scare in this election as they are offering nothing based on the oppositions perceived weakness. Corbyn does seem to have ignited something in the young going by all the stuff on social media I see from the youngsters in my football team, it'll be interesting but I get the feeling the youth vote won't turn up again.

Breaking news: Abbot steps aside as shadow Home Secretary due to "ill health". I think that's a good thing (though obviously not the ill health bit). She's been an absolute car crash.

That has swung it for me, no longer undecided my tick will be going in the Labour box, a 1st for me. Unfortunately in Chelmsford it probably won't make any difference

The young vote is brought up every election and they never turn up in the numbers required. I hope you are right as the tories need at least a scare in this election as they are offering nothing based on the oppositions perceived weakness. Corbyn does seem to have ignited something in the young going by all the stuff on social media I see from the youngsters in my football team, it'll be interesting but I get the feeling the youth vote won't turn up again.

I would hope that those about to head to University in the autumn would be enthused to vote, as they could save themselves a lifetime of debt.

That has swung it for me, no longer undecided my tick will be going in the Labour box, a 1st for me. Unfortunately in Chelmsford it probably won't make any difference
it might not change your MP but every vote counts towards the overall % that we use to judge how popular a party is, and safe seats become less safe with each vote and stops MPs from becoming complacent that they just have to turn up and take a wage - each vote means they have to work a little harder for you

I think people have been right to label this the most divisive election in recent memory, purely because it has been. But that’s not a bad thing. Labour have lurched to the left and the Conservatives have screeched to the right, aided by a mass defection from an increasingly pointless UKIP. For the first time I can remember there are now very distinct choices to make.

PERSONAL OPINIONS ALERT

I think the contrast between Corbyn and May, from before the election was called and now, is astounding.

Corbyn entered the race looking like he was on a hiding to nothing. The vultures were circling, waiting for the inevitable seat haemorrhage so that they could warrant another leadership contest. Whether or not Corbyn would stand down is neither here nor there to be perfectly honest. All it would’ve achieved is more bloodletting. May, in comparison, looked in cruise control.

The tables have turned now.

Corbyn has grown in stature. May reduced to a quivering shell.

The Tories just seemed to have lurched from one misstep to another. The Dementia Tax issue was ludicrously poor, as was May’s press conference following it. By just repeating that nothing had changed – in spite of mounting evidence that it had – what was she hoping to achieve? It set the tone for a campaign built on the inference that the proles would be too stupid to realise or check.
Terrorist incidents shone light on gross failings in the support of policing.

We’ve heard of nurses who’re taken jobs in supermarkets because they’d be better off.

There are schools needing to crowdsource money for paper, gluesticks and other supplies.

And all the signs are that this gross under-financing of national services only looks set to continue. All in the name of austerity.
Corbyn isn’t perfect. I didn’t think he was leadership material and there are members of his shadow cabinet who I don’t think capable of holding office. He’s been partly responsible for events that have only contributed to the connotation that the current Labour party is unstable. But, I will admit, he’s grown on me as he’s grown in stature and confidence.

I genuinely believe that a vote for the Tories is a vote for the status quo, and failures within that status quo only growing worse. Now, that might be alright for some. People who don’t want a change in their circumstances, people who are comfortable. People who aren’t struggling. The top 5%.

A vote for Labour is a vote to change the lives of those who aren’t as fortunate. To offer public services the support they, clearly, drastically need. To rid the government of the likes of Gove, Hunt, Johnson, Davis, May – people who treat ordinary working class people in contempt.

I fully expect the Tories to win a majority tomorrow, albeit fewer seats than they might’ve expected to. What I hope is that this campaign has breathed life into Corbyn, the party and given them enough confidence to move on and come together. This Tory leadership is, to put it bluntly, weak as ****. A unified Labour could pull them to pieces in opposition – if given a chance.

I for one am a bit concerned about this promise to play around with the Human Rights Act. It's lovely rhetoric, but how exactly will this be done?

For example, if I made a jokey remark like "I hate this country sometimes" on Whatsapp am I going to be let back in again once I've landed at Stansted following my 2018 holibobs?

I'm not being deliberately awkward but I'd be interested to know how exactly our human rights will change due to a few nutters and how this will stop terrorist atrocities. Is altering our democracy to make our country less free not cowing to terrorists?

The Human Rights Act is there to protect all of us surely - things like a right to a fair trial, and rights of employees, they are a cornerstone of our democracy. Yes we face a new and deadly threat from radical terrorists, but you remain more likely to be killed by a cow than a terrorist.

Questions need to be asked about this, and clarifications need to be made.

You'll be fine, Whatsapp is encrypted.

it might not change your MP but every vote counts towards the overall % that we use to judge how popular a party is, and safe seats become less safe with each vote and stops MPs from becoming complacent that they just have to turn up and take a wage - each vote means they have to work a little harder for you

Hear hear. Never say never - the safest seat in the 1997 election, in terms of percentage of the vote gained by the winning party - was Blaenau Gwent. By 2005, Labour had lost it to an independent.

Yes, specific circumstances in play there, but things can change.

I think people have been right to label this the most divisive election in recent memory, purely because it has been. But that’s not a bad thing. Labour have lurched to the left and the Conservatives have screeched to the right, aided by a mass defection from an increasingly pointless UKIP. For the first time I can remember there are now very distinct choices to make.

PERSONAL OPINIONS ALERT

I think the contrast between Corbyn and May, from before the election was called and now, is astounding.

Corbyn entered the race looking like he was on a hiding to nothing. The vultures were circling, waiting for the inevitable seat haemorrhage so that they could warrant another leadership contest. Whether or not Corbyn would stand down is neither here nor there to be perfectly honest. All it would’ve achieved is more bloodletting. May, in comparison, looked in cruise control.

The tables have turned now.

Corbyn has grown in stature. May reduced to a quivering shell.

The Tories just seemed to have lurched from one misstep to another. The Dementia Tax issue was ludicrously poor, as was May’s press conference following it. By just repeating that nothing had changed – in spite of mounting evidence that it had – what was she hoping to achieve? It set the tone for a campaign built on the inference that the proles would be too stupid to realise or check.
Terrorist incidents shone light on gross failings in the support of policing.

We’ve heard of nurses who’re taken jobs in supermarkets because they’d be better off.

There are schools needing to crowdsource money for paper, gluesticks and other supplies.

And all the signs are that this gross under-financing of national services only looks set to continue. All in the name of austerity.
Corbyn isn’t perfect. I didn’t think he was leadership material and there are members of his shadow cabinet who I don’t think capable of holding office. He’s been partly responsible for events that have only contributed to the connotation that the current Labour party is unstable. But, I will admit, he’s grown on me as he’s grown in stature and confidence.

I genuinely believe that a vote for the Tories is a vote for the status quo, and failures within that status quo only growing worse. Now, that might be alright for some. People who don’t want a change in their circumstances, people who are comfortable. People who aren’t struggling. The top 5%.

A vote for Labour is a vote to change the lives of those who aren’t as fortunate. To offer public services the support they, clearly, drastically need. To rid the government of the likes of Gove, Hunt, Johnson, Davis, May – people who treat ordinary working class people in contempt.

I fully expect the Tories to win a majority tomorrow, albeit fewer seats than they might’ve expected to. What I hope is that this campaign has breathed life into Corbyn, the party and given them enough confidence to move on and come together. This Tory leadership is, to put it bluntly, weak as ****. A unified Labour could pull them to pieces in opposition – if given a chance.

I think what most people can agree on is the importance of a strong opposition to hold the Government to account. We haven't had that of late.

Make sure you use your vote. I think all sides of the political spectrum would say that. On Diane Abbott, apparently it is only temporary and in her words she will soon be back in the fray. So she could well be Home secretary come Friday. Though Labour are saying it is a long term medical condition if that is the case why wait till the day before polling before removing her?

Do the Labour supporters believe Corbyn should say now if she will be home secretary if they win? If he does win and appoints her I can see big big trouble ahead.

Make sure you use your vote. I think all sides of the political spectrum would say that. On Diane Abbott, apparently it is only temporary and in her words she will soon be back in the fray. So she could well be Home secretary come Friday. Though Labour are saying it is a long term medical condition if that is the case why wait till the day before polling before removing her?

Do the Labour supporters believe Corbyn should say now if she will be home secretary if they win? If he does win and appoints her I can see big big trouble ahead.

I was always going to use my vote, this has been the hardest decision I've had to make though as anyone I do vote for has a big downside for me in their manifestos, I was torn between Labour and Lib Dem and neither ticks all boxes for me but with both the good seems to outweigh the bad. I have decided on Labour and am putting faith on them being able to deliver what is IMO the best manifesto, I'm sceptical on whether they can though. Like I say it's been a tough choice

I was always going to use my vote, this has been the hardest decision I've had to make though as anyone I do vote for has a big downside for me in their manifestos, I was torn between Labour and Lib Dem and neither ticks all boxes for me but with both the good seems to outweigh the bad. I have decided on Labour and am putting faith on them being able to deliver what is IMO the best manifesto, I'm sceptical on whether they can though. Like I say it's been a tough choice

So you're voting for the party with the best wish list regardless of the fact you don't think they'll deliver? I think you need to read the IFS report of all manifestos. Labour's doesn't actually hold water financially.

Still undecided. Haven't even got a Green to chuck away my vote to. Could be a toss of a coin to make my mind up or for the first time ever, not bother.

I'm no longer eligible to vote, but I would vote Labour if I was. I'm generally right of center (I voted for Trump), but I just can't find anything inspiring about May and the current Tory party. I think the country needs a change. Easy for me to say, as it won't affect me, and I can understand why many would be reluctant to vote for JC.

Back