• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 General Election thread

I disagree. There has been a massive groundswell behind JC. A lot of people feel empowered to vote as it's not the continuation of the neo-Liberal model so beloved of the Tories and New Labour.

Sadly I don't think he'll win, but maybe, just maybe he can form a coalition Government of centre-left parties.

I disagree. That groundswell would have voted labour this time around anyway simply because they're not the tories, and they're fed up with them. If Corduroy hadn't been himself then labour would be walking this election. A lot of people don't want a hypocritical racist sympathiser who can't lead his own party effectively as PM.

Any one of those three has put people off. The combination of people that leads to would be enough to win this election hands down.

Maybe, but if he hadn't been himself then labour would be walking this election. A lot of people don't want a hypocritical racist sympathiser who can't lead his own party effectively as PM.

Any one of those three has put people off. The combination of people that leads to would be enough to win this election hands down.

Well I don't believe for one second that is true, and in regards to your second point the Labour party members never thought he would be in this position - me included - and we're expecting a hammering. Thus they were saving their own arses, especially if they were MPs under Blair & Brown.

Breaking news: Abbot steps aside as shadow Home Secretary due to "ill health". I think that's a good thing (though obviously not the ill health bit). She's been an absolute car crash.

Breaking news: Abbot steps aside as shadow Home Secretary due to "ill health". I think that's a good thing (though obviously not the ill health bit). She's been an absolute car crash.
Now this is mixed news. Diane Abbott has been replaced as Shadow Foreign Secretary.......by the Labour candidate for West Ham!

All Abbott jokes aside, I can't help thinking she does have some genuine illness after watching her over the last year. And that is not meant in a nasty way.

Well I don't believe for one second that is true, and in regards to your second point the Labour party members never thought he would be in this position - me included - and we're expecting a hammering. Thus they were saving their own arses, especially if they were MPs under Blair & Brown.
what Corbyn has done is produce a manifesto packed with things that the public want or need. Then he has taken every opportunity on TV, in the press, in public - to talk about these policies. People have realised that is how to engage and they have realised you pick a PM on their policy.

Well there's a surprise. Give a gig to Andrea Leadsom and she ****s it.

I think this is legitimate, if Corbyn genuinely wanted rid of Abbott he wouldn't have waited until the day before the vote to do it. I'm happy she's no longer in the shadow cabinet but hopefully it's something she can recover from (just so long as she isn't reinstated when she gets better).

I think this is legitimate, if Corbyn genuinely wanted rid of Abbott he wouldn't have waited until the day before the vote to do it. I'm happy she's no longer in the shadow cabinet but hopefully it's something she can recover from (just so long as she isn't reinstated when she gets better).

Agreed. Maybe the stress of it all got to her. I wish her a speedy recovery and long and healthy retirement. :winking:

I think it's pretty clear this has nothing to do with ill health. If only the other car crash would do the same.

Deleted...

How do you multi quote??

On the bottom of each post there is a speech bubble with quotes inside it and a + sign(far right). For every quote that you want to include click the bubble against each post. When you have included them all, click the reply with quote box against the last of the multiple quotes.

I for one am a bit concerned about this promise to play around with the Human Rights Act. It's lovely rhetoric, but how exactly will this be done?

For example, if I made a jokey remark like "I hate this country sometimes" on Whatsapp am I going to be let back in again once I've landed at Stansted following my 2018 holibobs?

I'm not being deliberately awkward but I'd be interested to know how exactly our human rights will change due to a few nutters and how this will stop terrorist atrocities. Is altering our democracy to make our country less free not cowing to terrorists?

The Human Rights Act is there to protect all of us surely - things like a right to a fair trial, and rights of employees, they are a cornerstone of our democracy. Yes we face a new and deadly threat from radical terrorists, but you remain more likely to be killed by a cow than a terrorist.

Questions need to be asked about this, and clarifications need to be made.

I for one am a bit concerned about this promise to play around with the Human Rights Act. It's lovely rhetoric, but how exactly will this be done?

For example, if I made a jokey remark like "I hate this country sometimes" on Whatsapp am I going to be let back in again once I've landed at Stansted following my 2018 holibobs?

I'm not being deliberately awkward but I'd be interested to know how exactly our human rights will change due to a few nutters and how this will stop terrorist atrocities. Is altering our democracy to make our country less free not cowing to terrorists?

The Human Rights Act is there to protect all of us surely - things like a right to a fair trial, and rights of employees, they are a cornerstone of our democracy. Yes we face a new and deadly threat from radical terrorists, but you remain more likely to be killed by a cow than a terrorist.

Questions need to be asked about this, and clarifications need to be made.

Where are you going on holiday. Syria, Somalia? I'm pretty sure a glib remark on your Whatsapp account wont result in arrest when returning from Spain with a donkey under your arm.

Where are you going on holiday. Syria, Somalia? I'm pretty sure a glib remark on your Whatsapp account wont result in arrest when returning from Spain with a donkey under your arm.

I've heard Somalia has a lovely coastline.

Seriously though some clarity from May wouldn't go amiss. It was a jocular example but dicking around with the HRA is opening a can of worms.

I've heard Somalia has a lovely coastline.

Seriously though some clarity from May wouldn't go amiss. It was a jocular example but dicking around with the HRA is opening a can of worms.
you won't get any clarification from May, it was a last minute panic because people kept asking about funding for the police. HRA was protected in their manifesto, now its.....unprotected. This kind of politics where your reaction to events is to u-turn on the policies you were fighting the election on earlier that day is disturbingly shambolic.

Back