• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 General Election thread

Why must it be the way things work?

Your generation (and I'm guessing you are 40s/50s/60s born, seeing as you've self-identified as an old fart, apologies if wrong) have had absolutely everything - and now want the young to pay for what mess has been left behind. Older generations have had all of the houses, fat pensions, early retirement. Things that many in their twenties cannot see as achievable goals in their lifetime - and now they get labelled gullible for not wanting society, and their future, to be like that.

Far sooner be considered gullible than condescending and greedy. A real shame all of you old farts will never see it that way.

Us "old farts" have seen bad times, believe me. Anyone else remember to 15% mortgage rate?

This election is the most divisive one in my memory, but, come Friday morning, hopefully we can all move forward and just get on with things.

Hopefully not "getting on with" a Hard Brexit that will see the loss of thousands of jobs, or the dismantling and Privitisation of the NHS, the continued attacks on social care and security services, the pandering to multi millionaires, the continual sales of weaponry to countries who are happy to fund and arm those who'd kill us all.

I also remember with pain 15% mortgage rate but, hey, what do we old farts know? Youngsters know far more than us, obviously.

Us "old farts" have seen bad times, believe me. Anyone else remember to 15% mortgage rate?

Yes I do, I had to have 3 jobs to keep my house in my early 20's. Shame half our snowflakes haven't had one job at that age.

The latest polls and odds news from the Daily Telegraph. When Theresa May called a snap election I really didn't think that the race for No10 would be anywhere near as close as this has become. But there again, I didn't think it was remotely possible that the EU referendum would go in favour of the 'Out' brigade. I still can't see Labour tipping the scales but neither is May going to get the whopping majority she was confident of.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/general-election-polls-2017-latest-odds-tracker-maps/

Yes I do, I had to have 3 jobs to keep my house in my early 20's. Shame half our snowflakes haven't had one job at that age.

I bet the average house price wasn't ten times the median salary back then though.

What is the median salary for someone in their early twenties these days?

Both our young adult daughters are working,the younger one (22) was offered a long-term contract the day after her internship finished.The older one (33) has her own flat.

The latest polls and odds news from the Daily Telegraph. When Theresa May called a snap election I really didn't think that the race for No10 would be anywhere near as close as this has become.

Agreed. I said to someone the other day, it really wouldn't surprise me if Corbyn actually wins. He's said all the right things, at all the right times, which will have been enough to sway undecided voters, and cement his support with others.

Allow me to play devils advocate for a minute, much like Brexit, or the election of Trump, Corbyn is a hugely polarising figure. IF, he does win on Friday, I wonder if we'll see the same hysterical reactions that we saw after Brexit, or Trump. I wonder how many protests there will be? Or how many people will demand a re-run.

Hopefully not "getting on with" a Hard Brexit that will see the loss of thousands of jobs, or the dismantling and Privitisation of the NHS, the continued attacks on social care and security services, the pandering to multi millionaires, the continual sales of weaponry to countries who are happy to fund and arm those who'd kill us all.

Lend us that crystal ball for a few hours will you.

Allow me to play devils advocate for a minute, much like Brexit, or the election of Trump, Corbyn is a hugely polarising figure. IF, he does win on Friday, I wonder if we'll see the same hysterical reactions that we saw after Brexit, or Trump. I wonder how many protests there will be? Or how many people will demand a re-run.

I think the previous events you mention will look like children's tea parties in comparison to the ****storm that will explode if Corbyn wins. IF it happens Corbyn will need to be very careful in his appointments of ministers etc. Can he do that? of course he can, will he do that? Your guess is as good as mine. We certainly live in dynamic times.

I think the previous events you mention will look like children's tea parties in comparison to the ****storm that will explode if Corbyn wins

Really? Let me clarify, I'm not referring to the potentially catastrophic mistakes he would/could make. I'm referring to the reception his appointment would receive. I can't see millions signing petitions to cut his tenure short. Neither can I see thousands of people protesting outside parliament. Or hanging bed sheets with right-wing slogans, from every bridge over the Thames. I wouldn't expect the ending of friendships, or breakdown of family relationships over it.

So if correct the 3rd bomber was in Britain on an Italian passport. Good example of exactly why we should not guarantee all 3m EU migrants living here all ready. Those that are likely to murder us should be first out off the door and every hard working and welcome migrant would agree with me.

Really? Let me clarify, I'm not referring to the potentially catastrophic mistakes he would/could make. I'm referring to the reception his appointment would receive. I can't see millions signing petitions to cut his tenure short. Neither can I see thousands of people protesting outside parliament. Or hanging bed sheets with right-wing slogans, from every bridge over the Thames. I wouldn't expect the ending of friendships, or breakdown of family relationships over it.

I was thinking more of the Politics forum on ShrimperZone.:winking: Truthfully I haven't a clue what the reaction would be, I just felt like posting something windswept and interesting.

Agreed. I said to someone the other day, it really wouldn't surprise me if Corbyn actually wins. He's said all the right things, at all the right times, which will have been enough to sway undecided voters, and cement his support with others.

The answer is no though if May wins there will be some token demos from the usual people with too much time and money on their hands.
I think if Corbyn does win it will be down to many of the people who voted Brexit voting for him going by people I have spoken to.

The answer is no though if May wins there will be some token demos from the usual people with too much time and money on their hands.
I think if Corbyn does win it will be down to many of the people who voted Brexit voting for him going by people I have spoken to.

Agreed, if May wins, the usual rent-a-mob will surface.

I find it hard to fathom that people who voted Brexit, would vote Corbyn though. Is he, and his team really the people to lead us in negotiations.

I'll admit, I don't have too much faith in May, but between Corbyn & Abbott, I think it'd be carnage

Back