• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

100 greatest SUFC goals that never were.....

Hong Kong Blue

OK, we've had the greatest goals ever, but how about the ones that should have been the greatest ever, but for some reason weren't. This could be because they would have been the most famous goal in Southend's history to beat Liverpool or set up a tie with Chelsea, or it might be because it was disallowed, hit the post or missed having done all the hard work.

As this is my list I'm going to nominate two obscure choices.

(1) Gary Jones. Was crap all season then Steve Thompson took over and he started scoring like it was going out of fashion. He scored a fantastic first time curling lob against someone like Barnsley, when the keeper was barely off his line, and just as he was ready to celebrate picking up his goal of the season trophy, he noticed that the linesman was flagging(Gary Jones, offside? Surely not?)

(2) Stan Collymore v Birmingham. Chris Powell penned in by the corner flag does one of his wiggles and beats his man and plays it up to Stan who is on his own D, with his back to goal. Stan being Stan, everyone rises to their feet in anticipation and Stan spins away and runs from one penalty box to the other beating about 4 players until he is faced with only the keeper to beat with the crowd ready to acknowledge a special goal, even by Stanley's special standards, Stan running at pace pulls back the trigger and shoots. It goes about 5 foot wide, but the disappointment is eased by the knowledge that he'll probably do it again 5 minutes later.

Parker shootiong straight at Ray Clemence SEVERAL times I recall.............

Bury's equaliser against swansea a couple of years back whilst we were at Grimsby

Crown hitting the post which would have put Spurs out (away goals did us in the end....)

Gordon Connolley was the worst player we ever had i thought anyway he scored a great shot from an angle from about 23 yards out only thing he did all season though
gconnelly1.jpg

GOT IT best goal ever to be seen at Roots Hall for me was scored by scott houghton against Leyton Orient i believe just over the halfway line about 5-10 yards from the sideline he smashed the ball straight past the keeper not seen any much better in the last 10 years

Back